St. Margarets, NB

1957 – Historical Narrative – National Archives of Canada

1 December 1957 – 31 May 1958


Construction of new buildings continue to progress during this period. Early in December, the Hospital, Fire Hall, ME Extension and Guard House were taken over. In January the Admin Building was accepted and Station Headquarters made a long-awaited move from the second and third floors of the left tower to the new offices.

Construction of the new Barrack Block was finally completed in May, and will be ready for occupancy very shortly. Barracks remain overcrowded, but it is anticipated that early in June the Male officers, the Sr NCOs, and the Airmen will move into their new quarters. The female officers will move into the rooms (vacated by the male officers) in the upstairs of BB2 and the airwomen will take over the entire ground floor of the Barrack Block.

Sports Stores, where equipment is available on loan, is now situated in the room vacated by the SOR. Facilities presently at the disposal of Unit personnel include a Skating Rink, a Library, temporarily located in the James Park School, Tennis Courts, a Ball Diamond, Combined Mess, Dry Canteen, Snack Bar, Grocery Store, Laundry, Barber Shop, at which a civilian barber is available at appointed times, and a Gas Pump.

It was announced in February that a Rec Centre and Drill hall had been approved for St. Margarets and its construction would be begun at an early date. Station Chatham Rec. hall is still available for the use of unit personnel, and there is one Recreation run to Chatham each evening. Also, announced in February, was the building of 30 garages for PMQs. By the end of May the garages were well on the way to being completed.

Also in progress in May was the landscaping of the PMQ area. Although the road paving has not yet begun, it is expected that it will be completed by the middle of August.


2 Dec 57

From 1302Z to 1317Z electronic jamming was experienced. The mission was carried out by a B-29 aircraft of 64th Air Div from Griffis AFB.

4 Dec 57

Night flying from Station Chatham commenced at 2145Z. There were both local and cross country missions flown. Cross country flights were carried out under surveillance of this unit.

5 Dec 57

At 1945Z electronic jamming was experienced. The mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee). Jamming ceased at 1955Z.

9 Dec 57

This unit encountered ECM from 1140Z to 1622Z. Electronic jamming was experienced from 10 to 15 minute intervals. The mission was carried out by a B-29 of 64th Air Div call sign Kenneth 2.

11 Dec 57

Jamming was experienced from 2222Z to 2234Z. The mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight Aircraft.

12 Dec 57

Both electronic and mechanical jamming was experienced. Jamming commenced at 1155Z and ceased at 1244Z. The mission was carried out by a B-29 of 64th Air Div.

18 Dec 57

Electronic jamming was experienced by this unit from 1837Z to 2001Z. the mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

9 Jan 58

At 1655Z 21 Squadron was on "cocked pistol". The unit reached and maintained this state until 0050Z 10 Jan.

10 Jan 58

This unit encountered ECM from 0045Z to 0122Z. The mission was carried out by a 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

14 Jan 58

Electronic jamming was experienced by this unit from 1424Z to 1510Z. The mission was carried out by a B-29 of the 64th Air Div (Kenneth 2).

15 Jan 58

This unit was visited by A/C Bradshaw, Deputy AOC/O. A tour of the Operations Section was carried out.

30 Jan 58

A SAC training mission of 4 B-47s penetrated the sub-sector.

4 Feb 58

Officials of the Rand Corporation visited this unit until 14 Feb. This visit was made to discuss problems and situations of local concern to plan for the future set-up of the systems training programme.

6 Feb 58

This sub-sector was penetrated by Russian TU-104 on a flight from Gander Nfld. to New York. Complete records of radar tracking information were kept and forwarded to ADCHQ. As of this date it was forbidden to intercept any SAC aircraft.

22 Feb 58

This unit experienced electronic and mechanical jamming from 0312Z to 0400Z. The jamming mission was carried out by an aircraft using call sign "Leeway 56".

27 Feb 58

A/V/M Wray AOC ADC and his party which included G/C Willis, S/L Baynton and Lt. Col Brady visited this unit. A complete tour of the operations section was made. This unit conducted a canned exercise originated by ADC/COC. No name was given the exercise.

5 Mar 58

A KC-97 with 2 engines out was contacted on VHF. The controller diverted the aircraft to Chatham. The Captain of the aircraft decided to continue to Loring AFB. A T-33 airborne from Chatham was vectored to him and escorted him the rest of the trip. The aircraft landed safely at Loring Field.

6 Mar 58

This unit experienced electronic and mechanical jamming from 1650Z to 1753Z and from 2120Z to 2203Z. The jamming mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

7 Mar 58

The unit experienced electronic jamming from 2011Z to 2057Z. The jamming session was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

16 Mar 58

From 1754Z to 1835Z mechanical jamming was experienced by the unit. This was in conjunction with exercise "Snowflurry". The mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

17 Mar 58

Mechanical jamming was experienced by the unit from 1753Z to 1844Z. This jamming was in conjunction with exercise "Snowstorm".

18 Mar 58

A SAC training mission of 6 B-47s penetrated the sub-sector.

20 Mar 58

At 1346Z 21 Squadron was on "cocked pistol". The unit remained on this state until 1450Z.

13 Apr 58

The canned exercise was ordered by ADC/COC. The exercise proved very successful. Given no name the exercise commenced at 1550Z and ended at 1855Z.

16 Apr 58

This unit encountered electronic jamming from 1521Z to 1529Z.

17 Apr 58

This unit encountered electronic jamming from 0905Z to 0955Z. The jamming mission was flown by a B-29 using the call sign "Catnap Echo".

19 Apr 58

This unit encountered electronic jamming from 0130Z to 0210Z. The mission was carried out by an aircraft of the 64th Air Div, call sign "Kenneth 4".

20 Apr 58

This unit encountered electronic jamming from 0125Z to 0205Z. The mission was carried out by an aircraft of the 64th Air Div, call sign "Kenneth 4".

24 Apr 58

W/C Greenway, S/L Woodman and S/L Biggs made a visit to this unit. Building organization was the purposed of the visit.

25 Apr 58

F/L Crooks and Lt Oakes (USAF) were transferred from 2 ADCC to 21 Squadron.

30 Apr 58

This unit encountered mechanical jamming from 2325Z to 0020Z 10 May. The jamming mission was flown by 413 Squadron based in Chatham and participating in exercise "Devilfish".

6 May 58

F/C Dixon, URTP, reported here for summer training programme. This unit encountered electronic jamming from 1726Z to 1742Z. The jamming mission was flown by a B-29 aircraft of the 64th Air Div (Kenneth 2).

8 May 58

F/L Sheasby and members of the Evaluation Team arrived to conduct evaluation programme for FPS-6. An RCAF Comet transport was used for trial flights. The complete programme lasted four days.

9 May 58

F/O Bowman was transferred from 21 Squadron to Station Falconbridge.

10 May 58

This unit was visited by 20 members of GObC unit Moncton. The visitors were given a tour of the Operations Section.

13 May 58

At 1300Z 21 Squadron was on "cocked pistol". The unit maintained this state until 1500Z.

14 May 58

1 RAF Canberra penetrated our sub sector on an eastbound flight. F/O Foreman proceeded on TD to CPU Cold Lake.

15 May 58

FPS-6 went off the air for peaking and annual maintenance. F/O Blackburn was transferred to Sydney. F/O Gorling transferred to Station Moisie.

19 May 58

F/L Ralston departed on TD to Station Uplands for an investigation.

20 May 58

F/O Sheppard reported in from 1 Air Div for contact training.

22 May 58

This unit encountered ECM from 1509Z to 1546Z. Electronic jamming was experienced. The jamming mission was flown by a C-119 of 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

23 May 58

The unit experienced electronic jamming from 1654Z to 1725Z. The jamming mission was carried out by 104 Comm Flight (Fricassee).

27 May 58

There was a night flying programme carried out by Station Chatham. Fourteen aircraft carried on both local and cross country flying. Flights were carried out under surveillance of this unit.


Role 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

This unit continued to function in its assigned role as directed in ADC Ops Plans.

Identification 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

During this period of time 21 Squadron carried 17,886 tracks, of which 53 were classed ‘unknown’, of which total of unknowns 39 were later identified, leaving 14 tracks remaining ‘unknown’.

Surveillance 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

The one room operation system is maintained and the unit remains responsible for the display of all track information in #2 Sector. A total of 50,545 flight plans were received during this period. Tote boards are used extensively for the display of amplifying track and tactical data.

Aircraft Control 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

This unit continues to supply close control for air to air firing, and flight surveillance for training aircraft of 1(F) OTU at Station Chatham. Throughout the period an average of three controllers operating on regular day shift compiled a total of 1455:13 scope hours. During this period a total of 4,759 missions flown by 1 (F) OTU aircraft were controlled by this unit. Following is a breakdown of controller activity:

A1 Intercepts


Day Intercepts


Ascents and Recoveries


Synthetic Intercepts


Synthetic Ascents and Recoveries


In addition to the normal commitment of this unit there were 278 missions controlled on handovers from 32nd Air Div (USAF) for interception on such exercises as "Profile" and "Shakeup".

Exercise "Devilfish" 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

This exercise took place from 15-30 April. CF-100 aircraft of 413 Squadron were deployed to Station Chatham for the purpose of exercising units of #2 Sector in the control of AW Fighters. This unit was called upon to control all penetrations and recoveries for this Squadron during the above period of time. During the period a total of 127 missions were flown. Following is a breakdown of Controller activity:

Ascents and Recoveries


A1 Intercepts (Single)


A1 Intercepts (multi)


Training 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

Training programmes for controllers and FtrCops were handled by one officer, one senior NCO, and 2 Corporals. Trade Advancement courses began 10 Mar consisting of 2 courses of 10 days duration. The Trade Board was held in April with 40 FtrCops writing. Results of this board showed five failures. Following the Trade Examinations training was again carried out by the Training Section on weekends.

During the period 1 to 16 May 58 there were two courses of intercept control assistants held. These courses were of two weeks duration and there were a total of 15 people trained. This training consisted of using the Dalton Computer for solving intercept and fuel problems, work on the synthetic trainer, RI procedures, the fundamentals of intercepts, and current ATC regulations peculiar to this particular locale. These personnel were trained for the purpose of handling flight following and surveillance of 1 (F) OTU and other aircraft as required. This is carried out under the direction of a controller and its purpose is to alleviate the intercept controllers of some of their work load during times of heavy activity. To date this has proven to be a very satisfactory arrangement.

Personnel 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

There were an average of 113 FtrCops divided into six crews during this period. There were an average of 4 Senior NCOs and 11 Corporals acting as supervisory personnel. During this time average controller strength for this period was 12. There were 6 officers employed as Crew Controllers with the balance of the Controllers working the normal day shift. The figures for Controllers include the operations staff positions.

Christmas, New Year’s Schedule 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

During the periods of Christmas and New Year’s leave the four crew system was effected, and the personnel split for the two work periods In this way the operational capability of the unit remained unchanged.

Promotions 1 Dec 57 – 31 May 58

The following is a list of the personnel promoted 1 Apr 58 with their rank:

Sgt. Heffer

Cpl. St Pierre

Cpl Plourde

Cpl MacDonald

Cpl Turbill

Cpl Thurber

Cpl Davis

Cpl McTeirnan

Cpl McGlinchey

Cpl Belliveau

Cpl Sollows


Cpl Hargrave

Cpl Andries




The Telecom Section during this period operated with three main branches, Radar, Communications and Telephone Maintenance. The Communications Branch involved two sections, Com Maintenance and Com Operations. The Radar Branch consisted of three agencies: Radar Maintenance, Radar Servicing and Trade Training.

To simplify this narrative each branch will be dealt with separately, section by section.


Message Centre: 21 AC&W: The operating efficiency of the Message Centre has increased steadily under the guidance of CCHQ to a point where a standing of nil errors was maintained for the last three months.

The quantity of traffic has shown a regular increase during that period and averages out to approximately 2,400 messages per month.

The civilian establishment for Teletype Operators was reduced from eight to two and for Signal Clerks from five to two. This reduction effective 1st June will leave the Message Centre with a minimum staff required to man all positions.

Further to this change, eight RCAF personnel were transferred out with only two transferred in.

To speed up delivery of traffic a pony circuit to Central Registry was installed. This facility permits one way traffic only from the Message Centre to Central Registry.

Message Centre (2 ADCC): The five teletype circuits used in 2 ADCC were operated from several locations. To provide better control these five circuits were grouped into one room, designated as 2 ADCC, Message Centre. These circuits are manned by experienced Teletype Operators. This provides speed of operation and the use of correct operating procedures.

In May 58 two Model 28 Teleprinters and Projectors were installed. This equipment is used on present circuits and became partly operational at the end of June.

Switchboard: The switchboard efficiency is maintained at a high level by a daily training programme conducted by the Switchboard Supervisor.

Because of minimum establishment it is necessary to provide relief’s at regular intervals during evening and midnight shifts. Teletype Operators are employed as relief switchboard operators; these operators also are included in the daily training scheme.


VHF Equipment: This equipment continues to provide efficient communications without signs of deterioration due to aging.

UHF Equipment: Being more recent in the field of Canadian communications and also because of it complexity UHF equipment has given more trouble. It seem difficult to achieve a satisfactory degree of reliability with multi-channel equipment.

HF Equipment: Since HF Rep Nets are a back-up facility, they receive little or no use. The efficiency of this system of communication is impaired because antennae are not cut to the proper lengths of the frequencies in use. A complete revision of this system is under progress at ADCHQ.

DOT Weather Circuit: Weather information from Moncton ATC is transmitted by teletype, using the RCAF owned High Power LF Transmitter VE90G. This transmitter is maintained by a Civilian Technician from CAEL.

Recorders – Reproducers: The failures of this equipment have decreased considerably, with most of them being of a minor nature. This may be attributable to a gain of experience and a more comprehensive method of daily inspection.

Radio Communications Remote Control: An equipment rack was provided in the Duty Controllers’ Cabin which contains the majority of control and monitor facilities. This grouping of facilities in one area has proved very satisfactory to operations personnel and has cut down failures to a minimum. This installation was completed in February 58.

VHF UHF Back-up Facility: This installation contained in the operations compound proves very satisfactory and has been used on several occasions where the prime facility failed during use.


Telephone Service-New Installations: Telephone services were installed in the Fire Hall, Hospital and Guard House in January. Work was completed on schedule. The new Admin Bldg was wired last for eleven telephone installations, one inter-com system and one teletype circuit with an approximate internal wiring footage of 7,000 feet. The temporary entrance cable of approximately 1,000 feet was used, pending the installations of the outside cable plant (contract approved).

Sleet Storms – Line Outages: The end of January and start of February brought two heavy sleet storms which sent line outages well over 700 hours and 800 hours. RCAF troubles during these periods were a minimum of 6 hours and 13 hours respectively.

Central Office Work: An excessive work load and a dire shortage of personnel caused an accumulation of minor troubles and routines to be performed. This back-log was tackled in March and cleared by May. The personnel situation also improved during this period.


AN/FPS-6: Though an efficient piece of equipment electronically, the AN/FPS-6 has given considerable difficulties mechanically. The Rotary Couplers have failed several times always because of faulty design. Modifications have been approved but are not available to the fields yet.

Another cause for alarm was severe knocking at the junction of the nodding arm and sail. The modifications suggested by CGE to cure this fault was performed; however, the unit cannot determine the extent of effectiveness since this fault prevailed in freezing temperatures only, which have not been experienced since.

Severe vibration of the complete antenna assembly was finally traced to a faulty cable in the synchro system.

A modified magnetron was tested. It failed prematurely. Further testing of this QK338A magnetron will be done at a late date.

An evaluation team from ADCHQ performed extensive tests to determine the accuracy, range and cone of silence due to interfering buildings.

TPS-501 Height Finder: This equipment has performed satisfactorily and has received closer attention in this period.

15-J1D (Target Simulator): The operations people have made greater use of this training equipment, which has remained reliable throughout the period.

GPA-30 (Video Mapper): Lack of knowledge of this equipment was preventing its operating at maximum efficiency. This was overcome and the GPA-30 is now considered reliable and effective. One weakness, however, may require modification: the High Voltage Transformer broke down twice at the same point. UCR action was initiated.

AN/GPS-T2 (Radar Simulator): This installation was complete 1 May 58 and will be used in conjunction with the 15J1D Trainer to provide realistic exercise. This is part of the Rand System training programme. Though several technical difficulties were encountered, the installation was completed ahead of schedule.

AN/GPX-7 (IFF): The three available on this station provide for continuous operation.

AN/FPS-3 (Search Radar): The FPS-3 to this date shows no sign of aging and maintains a high degree of reliability. The third line of maintenance on this equipment seems very thorough and effective.

Radar Servicing: A crew of day workers ensured that all chassis were serviced properly and that test equipment was maintained in top efficiency.